Every day is a life changing day
Since I was a little girl I've always known the difference you can make for someone just by a small act of kindness. I learned this from my mother. I'll never forget the moment when I was about nine, we were standing in line at the grocery store behind a young woman with a few groceries. We were struggling financially ourselves and I have no doubt now, looking back, that my own mother was like so many parents, just trying to make ends meet. As we stood in line waiting for the other woman to purchase her groceries, we saw her start pushing items to the side as she realized she simply could not afford the items. These weren't frivolous items like candy, drink boxes, frozen pizzas and other convenience foods. These were basic items like applesauce, peanut butter, and oranges. It was now our turn in line, and as the woman in front of us was still waiting for her groceries to be bagged up, my mother quickly pushed the formerly discarded items into her own line of items to be purchased. She pushed the now purchased groceries to the items needing to be bagged for the other customer, and with a smile, simply said "I've been there".
I'll never forget the smile of extreme thankfulness that came across the woman's face or the way in which you could practically feel my mom's heart swell with love and empathy for this stranger. I knew at that moment that one of my goals in life was to take every opportunity to make a difference for someone else.
- Buying someone a cup of coffee in line behind you at Starbucks
- Buying someone lunch in line behind you at the drive thru
- Writing someone an encouraging note
- Shoveling your neighbor's driveway
- Buying someone some groceries
- Sending a friend a card
- Providing food for a stray animal
- Watching your neighbor's kids while they go out
- Baking some cookies and taking them to work
- Leave a note of encouragement on a random car in the parking lot
- Volunteer at your local Meals & Wheels to deliver meals once a week
Leave me some feedback! What are your ideas and creative ways to make a difference? :)
Don't just breathe in and out. Live a life worth living!